Glen Armstrong - Spoon Bender

Spoon Bender

But I was left alone.
Like a bent spoon.
Or a cowboy.
Boot that needs reheeling.
I walked around for a while feeling.
That I’d put too much faith.
In Uri Geller and symmetry.
My new and expanding faithlessness.
Would take me far.
I embraced that national restlessness.

That so many young men before me had.
I drove my rental car.
To Redondo California.
But I remained alone like a show dog.
Only bred when some shadowy.
Master’s needs took precedent. 
Or a discredited theory.
I would have thrown the broken boot.
Into the ocean if there had ever.
Been a broken boot to throw.



Glen Armstrong holds an MFA in English from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and teaches writing at Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan. He edits a poetry journal called Cruel Garters and has three recent chapbooks: Set List (Bitchin Kitsch,) In Stone and The Most Awkward Silence of All (both Cruel Garters Press.) His work has appeared in Poetry Northwest, Conduit and Cloudbank.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taylor Emily Copeland - Two poems

Alla Vilnyansky - Two poems

Jonathan Dowdle - two poems