Kendall A. Bell - Two poems

Like salvation 

And here is the jar of stars I've 
collected - your name etched 
into each glowing corner. And here
is the pulse of my wrist against the
soft flesh of your legs, a reminder
of devotion, the Morse code of an
unspoken truth. And here are the
arms I travel like memory, like the
record playing over and over into
the deep corners of evening. And
here is the weight of what I carry
each day, in all of the inches of 
skin, in the name of this perfect
thing we cannot name, but know to
be our reason to open tired eyes,
to hold like a newborn - like salvation. 




Come bail me out of this god forsaken precipice

I watch her cat eyelinered eyes flutter
in the strain of the artificial light
at 1am. Her body, a still, pale softness
surrounded by a deep sofa embrace. Her
forehead tilted back and exposed. I want
to make a ritual of kissing the taut flesh,
watch the anxiety's release, let the glow
highlight the perfect inches between the
blonde waves of her hair and the exhausted,
pinked toes that are shoved between flattened,
old seat cushions. In this moment, I do not
have to cast a line to find convincing words.
I slowly drag switches down, open the blinds
to let street lights become night lights and
twist my body into a comma on the floor along
side her - listen to the voices tell me that
this slippery slope will leave me as empty
as the freezer, where two ice cubes sit in
solitude among three empty trays. I listen
to the sound of her sleep breathing and it's
too late. I tumble into freefall and hope that
by morning, she catches me.




Kendall A. Bell's poetry has been most recently published in Anti-Heroin Chic and Philosophical Idiot. He was nominated for Sundress Publications' Best of the Net collection in 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015. He is the author of twenty four chapbooks. His current chapbook is called "Chasing The Skyline". He is the founder and co-editor of the online journal Chantarelle's Notebook and publisher/editor of Maverick Duck Press. His chapbooks are available through Maverick Duck Press. He lives in Southern New Jersey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taylor Emily Copeland - Two poems

Alla Vilnyansky - Two poems

Jonathan Dowdle - two poems